Naming a child ain’t easy. There are so many ridiculous things to take into consideration. To name a few:
- Does the name rhyme with fart, fat, whale, skunk, pig, or anything else the kids will pick up on the playground.
- Are you okay with the nickname? Growing up Shanisty, I was called Shan a lot. Rhymes with Man. I hated it. Still not a huge fan, but it’s too late now. My playground days are long gone.
- Who do you know with the name? Do you like them?
- Who does your spouse know with the name? Do they like them?
- If it’s a family name, will people be pissed you stole it?
- Speaking of family, when you have large families like ours…do you have a brother, sister, cousin, great-aunt with the name?
- Does it fit well with your last name? Staying away from Irish names here.
- Does it fit well with the middle name?
- Does your family approve of the name? This is why we keep our names (mostly) secret. We don’t need anyone’s opinions. No time for dat.
- Is the name gender neutral? Are you okay with that?
If you’re not finding out the gender (us) you’ll need a boy name and a girl name. That’s where you come in! We have a girl name, it’s set. But boy names are difficult. Our oldest son is Luke, so we like strong traditional names.
I’m opening this up to you all! If you choose the name we love…(if we have a boy)…I will send you a gift card in the mail. No joke. #desperate
Be sure to follow me on Instagram to follow the conversation. You can also comment below, or shoot me an email at: email@example.com
Ready, set, GO!
TaraJuly 21, 2016 at 9:11 am
Gideon, Beckett, Jackson, there aren’t many Aaron’s, and Owen is pretty classic.
ShanistyJuly 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Owen is Luke’s choice. haha. I really liked Aaron, but we don’t want anything that’s gender neutral. Even if the spelling is different. 🙂
Gilda WaltersJuly 21, 2016 at 10:48 am
Brandon James Ireland
ShanistyJuly 22, 2016 at 8:16 am
You don’t hear Brandon much anymore!
Barbara FisherJuly 21, 2016 at 3:03 pm
Naming our babies is hard. How about Miles, Garrett, Cole, or Cooper?
ShanistyJuly 22, 2016 at 8:14 am
I LOVE Cole. My husband wasn’t a fan because of the meaning.
Barbara FisherJuly 22, 2016 at 3:51 pm
I like it too. People’s victory was the meaning that I saw. But husband has to like it too.
Toni TJuly 21, 2016 at 7:38 pm
ShanistyJuly 22, 2016 at 8:10 am
I like. 🙂
KanetraJuly 29, 2016 at 7:22 am
For baby #3, how about the names Mason, Gabriel (Gabe), Jacob, Liam or Carter?
ShanistyAugust 3, 2016 at 8:34 am
We do like Jacob!!