Tick, tock… it’s not yet 5:00 and I am out of everything! Milk, bread, eggs, you name it. Oh, how I wish I could wait until my husband got home from work to go to the grocery store. I also wish it was super easy for me to snag a sitter while I stock our fridge, but that’s not a reality for this busy mom of three. Sure, I look forward to the day when my children are old enough to help me out at our local food spot, but until then I do believe I’ve mastered some grocery store tips and tricks without losing my ever-loving mind.
We are frequent Kroger shoppers. There is a Kroger about 1 mile from our house and it’s crazy convenient. Not to mention, I save money on food and fuel. So, hi, I’m a busy mom and I’m addicted to Kroger.
Here are 10 of my grocery shopping Mom Hacks:
- Create a Digital Account – This is really step one to unlock all the savings. It’s really simple to sign up! Head on over to Kroger.com and register. It legit takes 1 minute, even a busy mom can do that.
- Get Organized – In my single days, I could walk into a grocery store and know exactly what I needed without a list. With my mom brain moving 10,000 miles a minute, I need to be organized and have a shopping list prepared before I step inside the store. You can create a shopping list on your smartphone’s Kroger App. Just click on the “more” tab at the bottom right side of the homepage… it also estimates your total, which is an awesome feature when on a budget.
- Get Social – Speaking of the Kroger App, I downloaded it about a year ago and absolutely love all the savings! I’ve never really been one for clipping paper coupons, plus I know they’d get lost in the storm of our stampeding children. Having it digitally loaded on my smartphone saves me time and the headache of keeping track of one more piece of paper.
- Be Loyal – This is an obvious one, but do sign up for the Kroger Plus Card. Did you know that the Kroger Plus Card has more than $400 in digital coupon savings? Not to mention it helps you keep track of those pre-loaded manufacturer coupons. If you forget your card, you can simply type in your phone number. Also, make sure your address is up to date, so you don’t miss out on exclusive promotions offered to Kroger Plus members.
- F R I Y A Y (Kroger Free Friday) – Don’t even pretend like you don’t like getting things for free. The awesome thing about Kroger Free Friday is you often get to try items you may not typically purchase, which saves money and it might introduce you to a new staple item for your kitchen.
- ClickList– oooookay, I’m going to be completely honest and tell you I hadn’t taken advantage of this service until recently. I know, weird. But one rainy Monday I decided to take the plunge and try out Kroger ClickList and I’ve never looked back. It’s not as intimidating as you might think! You simply place your order online, pick a time for pickup, pull right up to your local store and let the fine folks at Kroger do the rest. My kids can continue watching their DVDs or nap, and I don’t lose any more years of my life as I stressfully steer giant shopping carts through the aisles. Pro tip: ClickList will tally up your total for you and waive your first three online order fees to help you stay on budget. After that, the online order fee is $4.95.
- Home Delivery: say whaaaaat?! Coming to a Kroger near you SOON via InstaCart. I do believe the skies have opened and I actually hear a chorus of Halleluiah ringing out. I actually didn’t realize this was available in my area until recently. Delivery of your groceries in one hour or less. Also, your first delivery is FREE! Yep, I’m loading up my InstaCart right now. *check to see if your Kroger delivers here: InstaCart
- Digital Coupons and Customer Mailings – I actually have this tab open on my laptop as I’m writing this blog post. I scanned through the more than $400 of coupons and simply loaded the ones I’d use to my loyalty card. Next time I check out, those coupons will be honored, saving me time and money. Also, make sure your address is up to date. As a loyal customer you will receive additional savings in the mail.
- Fuel Points: Every dollar spent at Kroger is typically worth one fuel point. Points do reset every month, but that’s not really a problem for a busy mom who’s constantly taxiing kids to dance, soccer, swim lessons, play dates and school. Check the bottom of your receipt OR check your app to see how many points you have saved up. Here’s a fuel breakdown:
100 fuel points = 10¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at participating gas stations (i.e. Turkey Hill and Shell).
100 fuel points = 10¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at a Kroger store.
200 fuel points = 20¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at a Kroger store.
1,000 fuel points = $1 off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at a Kroger store.
- Try the Kroger Brand: We actually love the Kroger brands, especially Simple Truth Organic. That’s the brand of milk you’ll find in our fridge. My oldest son is slightly obsessed with their white cheddar popcorn, it’s something always stocked in our pantry. We also have a lot of products from Kroger’s premium line: Private Selection. I typically buy their crackers and cheese when I do get a chance to entertain other people than my kids.
You might already be familiar with these hacks, but hopefully you learned something new. Either way, I promise adding at least one of these hacks to your next shopping adventure will save you some grey hairs and possibly add stress-free years to your life.
*This post is a paid partnership with Kroger.*
Leave a Reply