Lots of new faces here — I’m happy you found me and started to follow along on the blog.
I always enjoy the Instagram posts from people with 5 random facts about them, so for those of you who are new and are thinking — why the h-e-double hockey sticks did I start following this person??? Allow me to introduce myself with 5 random facts:
1. My name is Shanisty— that is my real name. It’s not a family name and my parents weren’t hippies. It’s actually derived from a Dylan Thomas poem.
2. I spent 10 years as a television news anchor/reporter. My favorite story I ever told was in the aftermath of the April 27th, 2011 tornadoes in Alabama. I met a family who moved into their dream home the day the storms hit, they lived but their entire home was swept away. They survived by grabbing onto the toilet and praying to God to be saved. You can actually view the story here.
3. My dream is to write a best-seller one day. I remember an author visiting my elementary school, I can’t remember who she was but I remember her advice. She told my class if you want to be a writer, you must write. Simple enough! So, I started writing in a journal at 8-years-old and for 30 some years I wrote in a journal every single night. I have a hope chest full of them. A treasure chest of memories I hope to one day pass down to my children.
4. Some random things I love are Bob Dylan, the beach, music documentaries, and Target — in no particular order.
5. My favorite quote of all time is by Erma Bombeck. It’s my phone background and serves as my daily reminder to never stop living life to the fullest— which is why I want to share it with you:
“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, ‘I used everything you gave me’.”
Your turn! Comment below with one fun fact about yourself so we can get to know one another better.