I have been a bit hesitant to write a blog post on my diet, because the truth is there really is no magic bullet. What works for me, might not work for you. What works for you, might not work for me. However, I received a lot of requests for a diet blog post so here goes!
First off, I really don’t believe in any specific dieting or fasting. I believe in clean eating, portion control and allowing yourself to indulge from time to time. If we don’t make room for indulgences, it could possibly lead to a slippery slope when you finally do let yourself indulge again.
So, what do I eat on a daily basis? It changes week to week, but there are a few things I really like to keep consistent like eating clean and healthy during the week. Sure, there are exceptions like events and random weeknight date nights… you better believe I’m not skipping the wine on a date night. Ha!
Here is a basic rundown of what I eat:
- cup of coffee, sometimes 2.
- Protein shake: spinach, almond milk, almond butter, protein powder (linked here) sprinkle of cinnamon and ice. This shake is sooooo delish. The kids always want some of mine, but the protein powder isn’t cheap… so I swat them away, like the heathen children they are.
- Sometimes I skip the protein shake and go straight for a piece of whole wheat toast, egg and avocado. I usually season my egg with Everything But Bagel Seasoning, you can find this at most grocery stores. My favorite is the Costco brand because of the quantity. If I’m feeling really feisty, I will roast tomatoes and mushrooms in avocado oil and serve them on the side with a dash of cilantro.
- Turkey and cheese roll ups, I usually skip the bread.
- almonds or other nuts
- salad with grilled chicken– I love Expresco chicken!!! (linked here) these skewers are already pre-marinated and pre-cooked. You just have to stick them in the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Sometimes the egg sandwich happens in the afternoon.
Snacks: I typically get really hungry around 3. Too late for lunch, too early for dinner. This is where I snack. Some may not, I do.
- rice cake with peanut or almond butter
- popcorn (my kids favorite), we always pop our own kernels.
- raw veggies and hummus (Adam’s favorite)
- Apple slices with peanut butter
Dinners: I try to share a lot of recipes on here and on my Instagram. Some of my absolute favorite food bloggers are Half Baked Harvest and Salt and Lavender. If I’m out of ideas, sometimes I will use the Expresco chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken at the store. I always try to do the following for weeknight dinners:
- Lean meats or tofu
- Minimal carbs
- Something the kids will eat — They always have to try what I make for dinner, but I do make sure there is at least one item on their plate that I know they will eat.
Dinner seems to be the only meal I really splurge on… so while I try to stick to these goals, some nights I am eating stir-fry with white rice. Or boxed mac and cheese. We don’t do a lot of desserts around here, unless it’s a special occasion.
- More Water
- Wine (Because I love my red wine) Of course, this is occasional.
And that’s pretty much it! I would love to do more food blogging on here and videos on my Instagram feed. Would you like to see more recipes for weeknight meals that are also kid-friendly??? Comment below and let me know what you’d like to see!