Someone recently asked me what my dream job would be. I had to pause and think for a moment, because honestly, I love what I do for a living. Writing and creating content for this blog, while also creating content on social media and for a few other local businesses.
Oh, and homeschooling the kids… even though that doesn’t make me any $ (it should, ha!).
The only thing I would love to do beyond what I already do is to have a cooking segment. For me, making dinner with music playing and a glass of red wine is my happy place. I love cooking so much, even if my kids are often stubborn about my creations.
I’ve decided to launch a weekly segment here on my blog and on IG featuring a new recipe each week. I call it My Cousin’s Kitchen, because my cousin has a much prettier kitchen than I do and she has more than 2 matching bowls in her cabinet….
This week we made Tomato and Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup. My own spin on a classic favorite. I like adding some gnocchi and sausage to make it a little heartier for my husband. Serve with a side of fresh French Bread or in a bread bowl.
This cozy comfort dish is so easy and perfect for any night of the week!
- prep time 15 minutes
- cook time 25 minutes
- total time 40 minutes
- servings 6
2 TBSP Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup chopped shallots
2 cloves of fresh garlic
3 cups of low sodium Vegetable Broth
1.5 cans of Crushed Plum Tomatoes with Italian Herbs
1.5 cup Heavy Cream
4 Tbsp. long-grain white rice
1 lbs. Italian Sausage
1 package tortellini
Fresh Basil Leaves
Salt + Pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the tortellini according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until brown. Drain onto a paper towel and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the shallots + garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable broth, rice and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, cover for another 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
5. When soup cools, puree in Vitamix, blender or Magic Bullet until smooth… you might have to do this in two separate steps. When soup is smooth, return to the saucepan, add tortellini and Italian Sausage. Whisk in the heavy cream, salt and pepper.
6. Remove from saucepan and serve immediately. Top with fresh basil and parmesan (optional).
7. Eat and enjoy! Serve with fresh French bread or with fresh croutons.
APPLE CIDER MARGS:
2 ounces silver tequila
1/2 ounce orange liquor
1/2 cup apple cider
juice from 1/2 a lime
1-2 teaspoons maple syrup use more or less to your taste
apple slices and cinnamon sticks, for serving (trust me, you don’t want to skip this step!!!)
Let me know if you make this dish. We’d love to hear from you!