National Potato Chip Day is on March 14th.
Potato chips have been the reigning champion in American’s hearts as the #1 salty snack food for years. But what is it about these fried potato slices that makes them so desirable to millions of snackers both nationwide and around the world? Is it the crispy crunch? The satisfyingly salty flavors? Or just how so darn easy they are to pair up or cook with?
Today, I had the chance to chat with Fox 17 in Grand Rapids, MI and share an awesome recipe to celebrate this fun holiday.
Like all great things, we start with bacon for this recipe. A bacon bit and pecan crusted cheese ball is a savory take on your everyday dip and is bound to be a crowd pleaser!
What are some fun “Potato Chip” foodie facts?
- In 1853, a chef in a Saratoga Springs restaurant reportedly invented the potato chip. This creation happened when Chef George Crum sent paper-thin potatoes, cooked until crisp, to a customer who had complained that the first fried potatoes he was given were too thick.
- It wasn’t until the mid 1950’s that this salty snack got its first flavor: BBQ.
- It takes about 10,000 pounds of potatoes to make 2,500 pounds of potato chips.
- The United States and France are tied for the most potato chips consumed per year.
- Today, there are reportedly over 2,000 potato chip variations from over 300 companies.
Bacon Pecan Cheese Ball:
total: 15 min
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning with a dash of dill
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup bacon crumbles
- 1 bag Potato Chips
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1. Mix cream cheese, green onions, dill, and cheddar cheese together until smooth. (electric mixer is best)
2. Place mixture on plastic wrap, cover and form into ball. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
3. Put pecans and bacon crumbles on a plate. Remove Cheese Ball from plastic wrap and roll in pecans and bacon crumbles until well-coated.
4. Place on a platter with Mikesell’s Groovy Potato Chips and serve. Enjoy!
I love Mikesell’s brand because they’re family owned and local to Ohio!
Visit their website and use code CHIP10 for 10% off your order! https://mikesells.com/