From breakfast hashes to taco salads, from poke to açai, the meal-in-a-bowl trend seems to be one that’s here to stay! Bowls are quick to put together, convenient to take on-the-go and easy to pack in extra nutrients. While they have become popular options at restaurants, they’re also simple to prepare at home. Today, I had the chance to join WFLA in Tampa to show viewers a few reasons to incorporate bowls into their daily meal prep and Superfoods that pack a big punch when included in your bowl!
Reasons you should ramp up our healthy lifestyles with Superfood bowls:
- Having a diet high in vitamins, minerals and protein has a positive impact on the amount of energy you have throughout the day, promoting clearer thinking, and impacting your mood overall, and allowing you to have a better quality of life!
- Bowls are a simple way to have a diet high in nutrients when you include delicious Superfoods.
Here are some awesome Superfoods:
- Whole grains. Eating more whole grains may help you live longer by reducing your risk of cancer and heart disease. Try one new-to-you grain, such as quinoa or wild rice, each week.
- Leafy greens. Dark greens like spinach and kale are an excellent source of nutrients including folate, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin C and fiber. They also make your bowl more filling!
- Sweet Potato. A root vegetable loaded with potassium, fiber and vitamins A and C, which is also a good source of carotenoids, an antioxidant that may reduce your risk of certain types of cancer. They add a delicious, sweet flavor to a savory bowl.
- Protein. Foods high in protein reduce hunger levels, increase strength, boost the metabolism, lower blood pressure and help maintain weight loss.
Farro Bone Broth Bowl
- 2 servings LonoLife Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 pack of Expresco Chicken Skewers
- 1 cup farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (roasted with avocado oil + garlic if desired)
- 2 cups arugula
- Salt, pepper & red pepper flakes to taste
- Salad dressing of choice (optional!)
- Add bone broth powder to a medium pot with about 16oz of water. Bring to a boil. Stir in farro, cover and reduce heat to a simmer until farro is tender and the broth is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Mix olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper together. Stir mixture into farro until the farro is fully coated.
- Start assembling bowls by placing the farro in each. Add tomatoes and arugula.
- Top with Expresco Chicken Skewers, your favorite dressing and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Add more salt & pepper if desired.