Do you ever struggle to make the most egg-cellent egg? To National Egg Month, I hopped on Praise 96.3, WJBZ- FM in Knoxville, TN for some egg fun facts and 5 tips to make the most perfect egg!
Did you know:
- The average hen lays about 300 to 325 eggs a year and people eat 279 eggs a year.
- Eggs are delicious, nutritious and easy to cook. They contain about 6 grams of high-quality protein per egg, so much protein that it is used as the standard by which other foods are measured. They are also low calorie, coming in under 100 calories!
- Eggs are also a rich source of vitamins, including A, E and K and a range of B vitamins.
- These qualities make eggs the perfect addition to a breakfast sandwich to start your day off strong.
Some additional bonuses of eating eggs:
- Energy boosting to get you through the day.
- Sharper Focus: Studies have shown that starting your day off with a better-for-you breakfast, as opposed to sugary, dessert-like breakfast foods, improves focus and productivity throughout the day.
- Metabolism Boost: Eating breakfast helps boost metabolism.
- Prevents Overeating: The next time you’re tight on time, rethink skipping out on breakfast.
- Meal Prepping: Eggs are ready in just a few minutes!
While we’re on the topic of eggs for National Egg Month, let’s talk about some tips when using eggs in the kitchen for cooking and baking!
- Crack your eggs into a separate bowl. When you crack eggs directly into the pan, you risk getting shell fragments in your eggs. This also helps ensure your eggs cook evenly, and you can more precisely control exactly where in the pan you want your eggs to land.
- Heat your metal spatula in the oil. If you’re using a metal spatula to flip your fried eggs, heat olive oil in the pan and then before you add any eggs, heat your spatula in the oil. This ensures your egg won’t stick to the spatula, potentially breaking the yolk and ruining your fried eggs.
- Boil for 10 seconds before poaching. Poached eggs are notoriously difficult to prepare, but Julia Child has a tip to help you master poached eggs! Once the water is boiling, poke a small hole in the egg with a pin to release air inside the egg. Then drop the egg in the hot water for 10 seconds, which helps it keep its shape and deter cloudy strands of egg white from forming when you poach it.
- Tips for the perfect hard-boiled egg. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water and peel.
- The float test is one of the most popular methods for checking whether an egg is good or bad. To perform the float test, gently set your egg into a bowl or bucket of water. If the egg sinks, it is fresh. If it tilts upwards or even floats, it is old.
If you’re looking for a delicious breakfast sandwich while you’re on the go …. I absolutely LOVE Julian’s Recipe Cauli-Wafels Breakfast Sandwiches! They’re grain free, gluten-free, made with cage free eggs and real cauliflower. They come in two flavors: Egg White & Smoked Gouda and Turkey Sausage and Cheddar.