In celebration of summer and grilling outside, I’m excited to share some of my favorite ways to grill healthy & unique dishes in our backyard!
Did you know, grilling has been around for almost 500,000 years! Our advancements in technology have allowed us to go from just our campsites and picnics to grilling in our own backyards.
Grilling is an easy way to make meals with your family while fitting in all the nutrients you need for your day. In the 1940s, men returned to the suburbs after World War II. After this homecoming, backyards filled with grills and family BBQ picnics.
In the 1990s, the average American became more health conscious than ever before. The invention of the George Foreman grill soon followed, intended to remove most of the fat of meat, while also grilling both the top and bottom. Sales for this grill were more than 100 million.
Here are some grilling ideas this summer:
Grilled vegetable packs are an easy way to reach your goal with your greens! You can put sliced eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, okra, potatoes, or any other vegetable of choice in a pack of aluminum foil with olive oil and spices. Close the pack and then place onto your grill until tender, and—Voila!
Kebabs are a real crowd pleaser! Take a wooden skewer, and rotate placing pieces of meat and vegetables on your skewer. Place skewers on the grill until meat is cooked thoroughly. Popular skewer ingredients include steak, chicken or shrimp with peppers, onion, pineapple, zucchinis, eggplants, or anything else of choice!
Grilled bread is an easy way to dress up your Julian’s Recipe Baguettes! You can take any flavor of baguette, grill it, and then add delicious fruits and vegetables on top to make a meal out of it! Simply place both sides of your bread on the grill face down for 2 minutes each. Remove your bread, and you can top with mashed avocado or go for a sweet variation with peaches & ricotta.
I love using Julian’s Recipe to grill my bread:
- Julian’s Baguettes are an easy way to grill bread and have it come out delicious every time! Simply place the frozen baguette on the grill and let it head all the way through. You can choose between the Butter & Garlic Traditional, Butter & Sea Salt Pretzel or the Butter & Garlic Multigrain to create your perfect grilled bread! Each baguette is filled with authentic, rich butter that melts beautifully into the baguette.
Julian’s Recipe Baguette Bruschetta
- Julian’s Recipe Baguette of choice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup basil, sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1. In a skillet over medium heat, heat your oil. Add garlic and toast until golden. Remove all from heat and cool.
- In a bowl, toss tomatoes, basil, vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes. Add garlic and olive oil and toss until all is combined. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Slice Julian’s Recipe baguette in half, brushing both sides of Julian’s Recipe baguette slice with olive oil. Place your slices of baguette face down for 2 minutes on each side on your grill on low heat. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spoon tomato mixture on top of baguette slices.