Today (August 24) is National Waffle Day! So, I hopped on the tv with my friends at Local 12 in Cincinnati to share some fun facts about Waffle Day and share how Julian’s Recipe can help you celebrate!
- On August 24, 1869, Cornelius Swarthout was the first person to patent the waffle iron, making waffles more readily available.
- Waffles have been around since the 14th century, with the earliest known record of a recipe being instructions from a Frenchman for his young wife.
- At the St. Louis World Fair in 1904, an ice cream vendor ran out of cups— but noticed a nearby waffle vendor. The vendor folded the waffles to make the modern day ice cream cone!
- The world’s biggest waffle was 8 feet long in diameter! It weighed 110 pounds and was created by Stichting Gouda Oogst in the Netherlands.
- The world’s tallest stack of waffles was 91.5 inches tall, and was achieved by two Colorado men in 2018 as a way to meet neighbors within their community.
Why do I chose Julian’s Recipe? They are a delicious and easy way to satisfy your waffle day cravings! You can choose between the Belgian, Brussels, or Cauli-Wafel varieties! Julian’s Recipe bakes authentic European wafels and Artisan Bread that give you a taste of the Old-World and leave you thinking it was your first time getting the true wafel experience.
Julian’s Recipe Wafel Ice Cream Sandwich
- 2 Julian’s Wafels of choice
- 1 cup ice cream
- If preferred: Peanut Butter, Marshmallow Fluff, Preserves
1. If using peanut butter, marshmallow fluff or preserves, use a knife to spread onto one side of both wafels.
2. Place the ice cream on top of one of the waffles, trying to keep it even. Place other waffle on top of ice cream.
3. If using a garnish, roll sides of sandwich with ice cream exposed into the garnish. Serve.
Julian’s Recipe Blueberry & Brie Melt
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 Julian’s Recipe Wafels
- 4 ounces of brie cheese, thinly sliced
1. Combine the blueberries, lemon zest and sugar in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for about 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
3. Place the butter in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Then place your wafels into the pan.
4. Add 4-5 slices of brie cheese on top followed by a generous scoop of the blueberry compote.
5. Add the second wafel on top and then flip! Allow 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
6. Serve while hot and enjoy!