August is National Sandwich Month! So I thought it would be nice to share a few of my favorite side dishes and sandwich pairings!
- Fun Fact: In 1952, the Wheat Flour Institute established August as National Sandwich Month! Newspapers across the country filled their pages with recipes fit for the Earl of Sandwich and picnics alike.
- John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich, created the sandwich when he wanted to eat his meat with one hand and continue gambling with the other.
- One of our favorite sandwiches, the cheesesteak, was invented by Pat Olivieri in the 1930s.
- The most expensive sandwich ever sold was a grilled toast sandwich that seemed to have an image of the Virgin Mary on it. It sold for $28,000 in 2004 on eBay to an online casino called GoldenPalace.com.
- Americans eat more than 300 million sandwiches every day (University of Washington)
Classic Barney Butter Sandwich
- 2 slices bread any kind
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp Nutella
- ½ a banana, peeled and sliced
- Honey, if desired
- Spread each piece of bread with a bit of butter on one side (like you would a regular grilled cheese).
- On the opposite side of one piece spread the regular almond butter. Place that piece of bread butter side down onto a frying pan.
- On the other piece of bread spread Nutella on the opposite side of the butter side and place butter side up on the frying pan. Grill for 2 minutes, then flip over and grill for 1 minute. Remove from grill.
- Add sliced bananas to the nutella or almond butter side. Drizzle with honey, if desired.
- Assemble the pieces of bread butter-side together.
Avocado, Tomato & Corn Salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 avocados, cubed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1 jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and cumin. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, combine avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, corn, jalapeño, and cilantro. Gently toss with dressing and serve immediately.