Today I had 2 back to back TV appearances on WTWO-TV in Terre Haute, IN and WCIA in Champagne, IL for National Potato Lover’s Month and to celebrate the mighty spud! Who knew that a root vegetable could be so versatile and vital to the world and how we eat? It’s time to give the ‘tater it’s due.
First, here are some National Potato Month fun facts to celebrate with today’s recipe?
- There are over 4,000 varieties of potatoes. 200 varieties are sold across the US. 180 wild species are too bitter to eat!
- Belgians created the French Fry in the late 1600’s. American soldiers were introduced to the delicacy during World War I. When they brought the dish back home, they called them “French” because the official language of the Belgian Army was French.
For today’s recipe, nothing says National Potato Month like adding potatoes to more potatoes! This recipe adds everyone’s favorite potato chips to your mashed potatoes… want to really step it up a notch? Grab Mikesell’s Mesquite Smoked Bacon or Good’n Hot chips for extra flavor!
Groovy Mashed Potatoes
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup crushed potato chips, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- Bacon bits for topping (optional)
- Cheddar Cheese for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, 1/2 cup of potato chips, onion, butter, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining potato chips. Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer back to mixing bowl, add 1 cup of whole milk and mix until mashed
- Add optional toppings
Leave a Reply