This is hands down one of my favorite soups to serve in the fall.
This is a hearty meal that can be served with garlic or Italian bread on the side, and can be serve this as an appetizer or as the main course. You can also sub out the tortellini for gnocchi and double up on the sausage to make it a little heartier… aka: the way my husband likes it.
This cozy comfort dish is so easy and perfect for any night of the week!
TOMATO + ITALIAN SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP:
prep time 15 minutes
cook time 25 minutes
total time 40 minutes
- 2 TBSP Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup chopped shallots
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 3 cups of low sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1.5 large cans of Crushed Tomatoes with Italian Herbs
- 1.5 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Tbsp. long-grain white rice
- 1 lbs. Italian Sausage
- 1 package tortellini
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the tortellini according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside
- Meanwhile, cook the Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until brown. Drain onto a paper towel and set aside
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the shallots + garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable broth, rice and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, cover for another 10 minutes, then remove from the heat
- When soup cools, puree in Vitamix, blender or Magic Bullet until smooth… you might have to do this in two separate steps. When soup is smooth, return to the saucepan, add tortellini and Italian Sausage. Whisk in the heavy cream, salt and pepper
- Remove from saucepan and serve immediately. Top with fresh basil and parmesan (optional)
- Eat and enjoy! Serve with fresh French bread or with fresh croutons.