This winter weather is starting to draaaaaag. Don’t get me wrong, we do love the snow here, but January is hands down the longest month of the year.
These Honey Chipotle and Lime Quinoa Bowls have summer written all over it…and they just make me happy, so I made them last night for Jeff and I. It’s super simple, healthy and refreshing.
I dissect the ingredients for the kids, as they like the individual foods, but not all together in a bowl over lettuce 🙄 The chicken has a little spice, but I promise it is not too spicy, if you like things hot…add more adobe sauce to the marinade.
The longer the chicken can marinate the better! Overnight is best, or you can marinate the chicken first thing in the morning before you start your day. The chicken can be cooked a number of ways, in an outdoor grill is best… but not easy during an Ohio winter. You can cook chicken on a skillet or bake in the oven at 425° for 20 minutes.
This chicken is also delicious served with an Orzo salad, or even pasta salad. I hope you enjoy this little taste of summer in the dead of winter.
HONEY CHIPOTLE CHICKEN AND LIME QUINOA BOWLS
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce, from a can of chipotles in adobo, add more if you like spice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHICKEN:
- Cut the chicken breasts in half, and then slice the thickness in half, the thinner the better…season with salt and pepper
- In a bullet or blender, mix together the olive oil, chipotle adobo sauce, honey, mustards, cilantro and garlic. Pour the marinade over the chicken, covering it evenly in a plastic bag
- Place bag it in the fridge and marinate for at least 2 hours, or longer
- When you’re ready, grill the chicken on an outdoor grill or heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with a bit of olive oil. Cook until the chicken is deeply browned on both sides, about 6-8 minutes per side. You can also bake this chicken in the oven at 425° for about 20 minutes (I did this last night)
INGREDIENTS FOR LIME QUINOA:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- juice from a half a lime
- salt to taste
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIME QUINOA:
- Rinse quinoa with water and drain, set in small sauce pan
- Pour chicken broth in pan and bring to a boil, when boiling cover and return to simmer for about 12 minutes
- Fluff quinoa with fork and add butter and lime juice, set aside
INGREDIENTS FOR BOWLS:
- Lettuce of your choice
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup red onions
- Everything but bagel seasoning to taste
- Your favorite salad dressing… I made my own ranch, recipe here
- Combine all ingredients and sliced up chicken, add your favorite dressing and enjoy!
Leave a Reply