My Aunt Sue is, hands down, one of the best cooks I know. She has the best recipes and she makes gourmet Sunday dinners for the family.
I remember spending the night with her as a kid and she would make a five star meal and a full cheesecake for dessert for just the two of us. So Good! She would have to hide the cheesecake in her garage so no one would dive into it before we did. I always had so much fun spending the night at her house and always marveled at the fact she could cook such elaborate meals and actually enjoy the cleaning up after.
She recently shared with me her homemade egg rolls and I was dying to try the recipe…so I made these last night and no joke, they were gobbled up in 15 minutes. Adam (my 5 year old) ate two of them, even my two year old ate a few bites — that’s really all I get out of him anymore since he’s going through that “picky eater” stage.
I was a little intimidated at the notion of making my own egg rolls, but these were surprisingly super easy! Make them with a side of spicy honey mustard and serve as an appetizer, or as a meal with a side of rice.
I made both the chicken and veggie versions, if you want to skip the chicken… that’s no problem at all. I made these with our Fry Daddy, but you could also make them in an air fryer at 400° for 8 minutes, coat with oil and flip and cook for another 8 minutes.
Aunt Sue’s Homemade Egg Rolls with Dipping Sauce
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 5-8 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR THE EGG ROLLS:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half in width and then diced into small cubes. You will get these even smaller once they are cooked (skip if making veggie version)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup cold water
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce (a little more if you need it later in the process)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cabbage, diced (place whole cabbage in deep boiling water pan for about 15 minutes and remove from pan and dice in very small pieces)
- Canola oil for frying
- Olive Oil
- Sesame oil (optional)
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg white, whipped until frothy
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SPICY HONEY MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 cup dijon mustard
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sriracha (skip if you want mild)
- Take the chicken breasts and dry with paper towel, cut in half width wise and then cut into small cubes, set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water with soy sauce and brown sugar, then add chicken cubes to marinade and refrigerate or prepare right away
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet until hot, stir fry chicken until golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet, but do not clean skillet, set aside
- Cut chicken into even smaller bites with scissors, you will want them very small for the egg rolls
- Add more oil if necessary (I added a little sesame oil here) and stir fry prepared cabbage, carrots and onions until soft
- Set half of the veggie mix to the side (if making both meat and veggie version) and add cooked chicken back in with veggies, toss until combined and cook for a few minutes longer
- Remove both mixtures from heat and set aside. You can do all of these steps the day before and refrigerate if necessary
- Make sure the chicken/vegetable mixture is COMPLETELY cool before adding to egg roll wrappers
- While fillings are cooling, mix honey and dijon mustard (and sriracha) together for dipping sauce
- Whisk egg white and set aside, now you’re ready to roll
- Follow the exact steps on the back of the egg roll wrappers package on how to place the mixture in the middle of wrapper fold, seal with egg white mix
- Heat canola oil in Fry Daddy or an electric frying pan, once oil is hot drop the egg rolls in and turn as often as needed, it won’t take them long to fry (my first batch took about 8 minutes, then as oil got even hotter it only took about 3 minutes) Remove when golden brown
- Drain on paper towel and cover with foil until all egg rolls are finished and you’re ready to serve
- Serve with spicy honey mustard and soy sauce