I could eat Chipotle every single day. It’s one of my long standing vices that I’ve had for the better half of 10 years.
Admittedly, I’ve attempted to recreate the bowls before, to no avail… I end up getting frustrated, and ordering the real thing.
However, with this pregnancy, I was determined to master the Burrito Bowl on my own to save $$$ and to save my sanity for the “specialty bowls” my kids always order. (Rice, chicken, cheese for like $10… give me a break).
This Taco Tuesday, take a spin on a classic favorite that really is simple. This meal is also perfect for meal planning, as you can double the recipe on the chicken and eat off of it all week.
I am not a fan of beans at all, so my recipe doesn’t call for them, but you could easily add canned beans to this recipe or any additional sides of your choosing like fresh guac or sour cream.
Be sure to scroll down as I included the chipotle cilantro rice in this recipe too. Honestly, the best part about the bowls!
Enjoy and Happy “Taco Tuesday”
Copycat Chipotle Chicken Bowls
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BOWLS:
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut in width and cut into very small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned corn
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ cup red onion
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, mixed
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Cut chicken breasts in width and then in very small pieces
- Add chicken breast pieces in a medium sized bowl and coat with olive oil
- Add olive oil, paprika, cumin, ground chili pepper, salt and black pepper. Mix well until chicken is coated with spices and oil
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat
- Add chicken in pan and cook for 7-8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked
- While chicken is cooking, cut veggies
- Set chicken aside
- In same skillet, cook veggies with a little water to loosen spices until tender, set aside
- When ready to serve, cut chicken with cooking scissors into very small bites size pieces
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CILANTRO RICE:
- 1 cup white Jasmine rice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE RICE:
- Bring 3 cups water to boil in a large pot
- When water is boiling, add rice, salt, and bay leaves, allow to boil uncovered for about 15 minutes until water has evaporated
- Remove bay leaves, using a strainer, drain rice and rinse with hot water
- Transfer rice to a large mixing bowl, add cilantro, lime juice and lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt (or salt to taste), stir to combine