I might not be able to consume beer currently, but there is nothing stopping me from making some good old fashioned Cheddar Cheese Soup with beer.
This recipe is coming straight out of the vaults of my Disney cookbooks (I have a few of them). This Cheddar Cheese Soup is served at La Cellier Steakhouse in the Canada Pavilion at Epcot. I’ve only eaten at that lovely restaurant a few times, as it’s not the most kid-friendly spot. But I still crave the soup, all the time!
This soup recipe is the perfect comfort food for a mid-week pick me up. Serve with a side of French Bread as an appetizer, lunch or main course.
Let me know if you try it, Enjoy!
Cheddar Cheese Soup
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- ½ pound of bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup warm pale lager-style beer
- Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish (optional)
- In a Dutch oven or large sauce pan, cook bacon, over medium heat until browned
- Add red onion, celery, and butter and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly
- When coated, whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add milk, Tabasco, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after milk is added
- Add cheese and continue to stir over low heat until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives, extra cheddar cheese and a side of French Bread