If you combine the words cheese and potato in a recipe, I’m sold. If I see it on a menu, I’m ordering it.
I tell people on social media that I have an unhealthy obsession with Waffle House and I’m not even joking when I say that. Their cheesy hash browns are TO DIE FOR.
This breakfast casserole is super simple and it sure to satisfies a crowd. I made this last weekend with the very basics, and there were no leftovers. This dish is completely customizable to your family’s likes. You can add green onions, yellow onions, bacon, even potato chips! The sky is really endless when it comes to this breakfast hash.
For this recipe I used my mom’s Salad Shooter to shred the potatoes. You could also use frozen hash browns to save time. I have a few recipes that I will be sharing in the coming months that I recommend the Salad Shooter for. Hers is 40 years old and still works like the day she bought it. I love that thing!
Enjoy this recipe and Happy Friday!
Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOK TIME: 45 Minutes
- 4 cups shredded potatoes (use a food processor or a Salad Shooter)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (a little extra for serving)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- green onions or shallots
- yellow onions
- potato chips
- Corn Flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Peal potatoes (you’ll need about 6 large potatoes) and then shred them in a food processor or Salad Shooter, if you don’t have either on hand you can use a box grater)
- In a large mixing bowl, add sour cream, heavy cream, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and mix gently until evenly mixed with shredded potatoes
- Grease a casserole pan or baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until starting to bubble
- Top with remaining cheese and optional toppings
- Serve with eggs and bacon to make a breakfast fest, enjoy!