Sometimes I just crave a solid Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Probably much like you, I want more on my sandwich than American Cheese and buttered toast. What I love about a grilled cheese is there are so many variations and the sky is really the limit when it comes to creating your sandwich.
This weekend I had the house to myself for a couple hours on Saturday and was just craving a good old fashioned Grilled Cheese. So I pulled out all of the ingredients I already had in my fridge and got a little creative.
This sandwich is a rich and cheesy twist on a childhood classic, with a savory crunch of bacon. This sandwich takes no time whatsoever to put together. Make this for yourself this week or try it out on the entire family. Modify where needed, as not all kids care for every ingredient listed. You really could choose whatever blend of cheese slices you like or have on hand. I had white cheddar and gouda, but you could easily use American and provolone, or even pepper jack for a kick!
The cream cheese and mayo spreads will make enough for 4 sandwiches. Lastly, I love Artisan Bread for my grilled cheese, but you really could swap this out for GF bread, sourdough or Italian.
Serve with a side of tots to really bring back those childhood cafeteria memories.
Grownup Grilled Cheese
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
MAKES: Up to 4
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of green onions, diced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise or greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- slices of artisan bread
- slices of white cheddar cheese
- slices of gouda cheese
- 2-4 slices of bacon
- Fry bacon using your favorite method and set aside
- While bacon is frying, using an electric mixer mix cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, heavy cream, green onions and salt; set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, and salt, set aside
- Heat a skillet with a tablespoon of butter
- Butter one side of the Artisan Bread slices
- On the other side of one bread slice, spread the mayo spread, toast the bread on buttered skilled (butter side down) for a few seconds
- Layer the sandwich on one slice of bread with 2 slices of white cheddar cheese, on the other slice layer 2 slices of gouda. Spread the cream cheese spread on top of gouda cheese, allow to heat for about a minute
- When cheese is beginning to melt, lay two slices of bacon on sandwich and close it up, careful not to let cheese drip
- Toast sandwich for a couple minutes until golden brown, carefully flip and continuing grilling the other side
- When ready remove from skillet and serve with a side of tater tots
Leave a Reply