I recently ordered carry-out from a local Mediterranean restaurant and pretty much died and went to heaven.
I immediately wanted to order the same thing every single night for the foreseeable future, but my wallet wouldn’t appreciate that, so I opted for the next best thing and tried to recreate it.
I made these bowls for lunch yesterday in between co-op and soccer practice and they were gobbled up by everyone! I love making customizable bowls for my family because what one child will eat, the other will roll their eyes at. You can easily sub out the protein for tofu and the brown rice for quinoa or steamed rice.
Save this recipe for a long day when you want something quick and easy to please a crowd.
Delicious Mediterranean Chicken Bowls
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ ground cloves
- Salt and pepper
FOR THE BOWLS
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- Naan bread
- Diced Cucumbers
- Diced Red Onion
- Feta cheese
- Lemon Juice
- Combine all the spices then coat generously with olive oil, season well with spices
- In a large skillet, cook chicken until browned on one side then flip and cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked through, about 10-15 minutes (you can also bake these in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes)
- Once chicken is done cooking, remove from skillet and allow to cool
- In the meantime, cut your veggies and prep your bowls
- Add rice or quinoa, chicken and vegetables and drizzle with tzatziki sauce and lemon juice
- Serve with hummus and naan