My kids will eat salad, but it’s hard to sneak spinach in there. Honestly, I don’t blame them. I don’t think I ate spinach until my 30s. Oy.
This really simple salad recipe takes about 10 minutes to get on the table and can be modified to your taste. My sister-in-law introduced me to this recipe while we were visiting Arkansas over the holidays. Surprisingly, my 6 year old even enjoyed it… with a different lettuce, however.
Last night I made it with spinach and arugula, but you can swap out any leafy green of your choice. The toppings are modifiable too, but the dressing is something you won’t want to mess with. It’s sooo flavorful!
Spinach Super Salad
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Leafy greens of your choice
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 a medium yellow onion (you can do red too!)
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts
- 1 cup mini cucumbers
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Cut your onion, avocado and cucumbers and set aside
- Mix olive oil, dijon, honey, red wine vinegar together and set aside
- In a large salad bowl, add leafy greens and top with onions, cucumbers, nuts, avocado and cheese
- Drizzle with salad dressing and mix until well coated