Talk Derby to me. Yes, I know it’s over said…but there aren’t many Saturdays I love more than Derby Day!
If you’re looking for a fun, simple way to celebrate The Run for the Roses, I have a couple ideas for you.
First off, it’s not too late to grab a couple inexpensive hats or fascinators for your guests. There are a couple on Amazon, here.
You can always snag some fake roses at the Dollar Store or Home Goods for a reasonable price, or search Derby party ideas on Amazon.
But most importantly, we must talk about the FOOD and DRINK! Yes, the beloved Mint Juleps and Pimento Cheese sandwiches are a must for your Derby party.
I’m going to be doing a lot of meal prep tomorrow (the Friday before the Derby) so I can share more then, but in the meantime… here are two staple recipes for you.
- 4 to 5 mint sprigs (muddled)
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2-3 ounces bourbon whiskey
- Juice of half a lemon
- Mint sprig, for garnish
- Pour over crushed ice
- Muddle the mint leaves in a cocktail shaker
- Squeeze lemon juice and add simple to the batch, then pour in the bourbon and mix
- Pour over crushed ice and garnish with mint leaves
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (Duke’s)
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 dash hot sauce, Tabasco
- 4 ounces pimientos chopped
- Mix ingredients and chill
- Serve with crackers, pretzels, veggies or as a sandwich!
Leave a Reply