I had a hankering for some fried chicken last night.
I made these buttermilk fried chicken fingers in just a few minutes, but really I should have marinated the chicken in the buttermilk for several hours before.
Since it was a last minute decision to make some fried chicken strips, I didn’t have time to fully marinate them…but they were pretty darn good all things considered! You can make these in an air-fryer, but I opted for our Fry Daddy last night.
We paired these with some mashed potatoes and cooked carrots, but you could go all out with some french fries too. Don’t forget to lay out your fam’s favorite dipping sauces. Ranch is a family favorite in the Ireland house… we do live in the Midwest after all.
*If using an air-fryer, preheat your air fryer at 390° air fry for 12-15 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, you can open the air fryer basket and flip the chicken to the other side. Fry for 5 more minutes.
*I saw the cold water hack on Pinterest, when you dip your marinated chicken in flour and then egg, dip it in a freezing cold bowl of water and then repeat cycle. This is supposed to make it extra crispy. I think it works!
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Fingers
Prep Time: Marinate chicken for at least an hour, overnight is best
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups ice cold water
- Marinate the chicken breasts in buttermilk for a few hours or even overnight
- When ready, prepare 3 separate bowls: one for the flour, one with the beaten eggs and one with 3 cups of ice cold water
- Dredge the marinated chicken in flour, then egg, then cold water, then back to flour
- Fry in vegetable oil until internal chicken temperature reaches 165° and golden brown
- Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Allow grease to drain on paper towel and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces, Enjoy!
Leave a Reply